Distance Learning Prerequisites and Admission Requirements for the PhD in Classical Studies
- A graduate degree (MA, MS, MDiv vel sim.).
- Completion of three years of college-level Latin.
- Current employment as a teacher. A letter from the applicant’s supervisor verifying employment as a teacher must be submitted to the Classics Department as part of the application materials.
- Our program cannot accept all applicants due to resource limitations.
- Applicants to the PhD program are required to complete an on-campus visit. Please allow at least a half-day for this visit, which will include a 90-minute sight translation exam of standard Latin authors, and short interviews with the Director and available faculty. Please see Information for Applying Students on the Distance learning homepage for the recommended dates of the campus visit.
- To receive full consideration, your application and all supporting materials must be received by the application deadline. Please see Information for Applying Students on the Distance learning homepage for the application checklist and application deadline.
- Admitted students are required to attend the Summer Latin Institute at the University of Florida, held for ten days in July, and participate in the orientation sessions at the Institute that are intended for the new students.
>> Back to Distance Learning